January's Balance Bike Clinic
We host year-round Balance Bike Clinics open to all families. Register for a clinic and come learn how to ride a bike without using training wheels! Balance bikes are the ideal partner to introduce your young child to the concept of two wheels. Due to the extremely low step-through entry point and the high cockpit, little ones can enjoy two wheels as soon as they can start walking.
- Dates: Three consecutive Sundays (January 7, 14, and 21).
- Time: 9am - 10am.
- Location: Ord Terrace Elementary School
We are certified League Cycling Instructors (LCIs) with the League of American Bicyclists. Registering for a clinic gets your family our professional instruction. We'll help show you how to adjust your child's bike and helmet to fit their needs; how to maintain and care for their bike; and how you, as their adult, can create a supportive environment for your young rider. We have ramps. We have cones. We have obstacle courses. We play games. We talk about bike and pedestrian safety. We stay late after our clinics are over to give one-on-one instruction to families that want to hang out. But mostly, our clinics are about building COMMUNITY. If any of that appeals to you, we'd love to meet your family and have you attend.
- This is a zero-waste event. Please bring your own receptacle (cup, bottle, etc.) for water. There will be a 2-gallon jug with spigot for you to refill from.
- f your child requires a snack, please bring one. We also encourage families, if they are able to, to bring something to share!
- There are no stairs at this location.
- All pathways are cement and/or asphalt.
- There are two handicap accessible parking spots at the front of the school. If you need to, you can also pull all the way to the rear of the school and park on the blacktop where the clinic is taking place.
- There is no bike rack parking available but you're welcome to lock your bike to the chain-link fence that encloses the park.
- Bathrooms are available. There is no non-binary option and one stall in each is wheelchair accessible with a handrail. There is a baby changing station available in the women's bathroom.
- There is no ASL interpreter for this event.
- This is a Fragrance-Free event. Although we will be outdoors, please come unscented to protect those of us with environmental/chemical sensitivities.
- There is no picnic area to sit and have snack at. Please bring your own blanket and/or chair as needed.
- There will be two oversized outdoor chairs available for nursing/chestfeeding/breastfeeding.
We understand that kids grow fast, bikes are expensive, and keeping up with quality gear can be challenging which is why offering a scholarship option to families that need it is essential in supporting our goal of making biking accessible and affordable to all families in Monterey County. Whether you want to rent, buy, and/or bring your own WOOM or Stampede bike to a Balance Bike Clinic -- we've got a ton of registration options available in our online storefront, one of which, is bound to fit your families needs.